Saturday, April 30, 2011

3,000 Ladies are munching on bugs...

OK, not ladies, but Lady Bugs.

My youngest daughter loves nature and one of the things she loves every year when Dad (that's me) buys Lady Bugs to release in the garden.  Generally bamboo is pest free but on rare occasion I have seen an aphid or two on new shoots.  They don't really do much damage, but they are annoying and can create a mess.  Releasing Lady Bugs is a great way to naturally rid plants of aphids and other pests.


So, tonight at dusk, after I watered, we released two bags of Lady Bugs, 3,000 in total, into the backyard.


First, you have to get the Ladybugs on the tomato plants, all six of them, that's a must.


Then, I released them on the bamboo, this is Semiarundaria yashadake kimmei.

Finally, I released some near our prized Green Japanese Maple.

Right now, under the cover of dark, hopefully they are munching on some "bad" bugs.  A good natural way to manage pests in the garden and my daughter is happy, can't top that.

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook
Twitter: @madmanbamboo

2 comments:

Alan said...

Too bad they don't eat mites. :-(

Mad Man Bamboo Nursery said...

Yeah, that would sure be nice wouldn't it!