Monday, June 6, 2011

'Pom Poms' on my bamboo...


Saw the weirdest growth pattern on a clumping bamboo, Bambusa multiplex 'Silverstripe', normally on the nodes you will see maybe 8-10 branchlets.  As I was showing a customer around the bamboo garden, something caught my eye.  At first, a dire thought ran across my mind... 'Oh, no!  My 'Silverstripe' is flowering."  Bamboo flowers, on average, every 75 to 100 years.  Sometimes flowering means certain death for bamboo, but not always, sometimes it just looks really bad for a couple of years (saps the plant of energy as it flowers like crazy).  An the flowers aren't pretty, at least in my opinion.


After the customer left, I took a closer look.  At the nodes, at least 30 tiny leaves. On one culm only, the rest were normal.  Looked like cheerleader 'Pom Poms.'  Truly a unique sight.  Can't say I can pinpoint what caused it.  Bamboo always amazes me....

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook
Twitter: @madmanbamboo

No comments: