Saturday, May 14, 2011

Adventures in the garden... making the most of a sunny day in May.

So this weekend was a mixed bag, starting off sunny and ending with cloudy skies and a good chance for rain.  Friday, getting home from work, the weather was beautiful and sunny. Enjoying the opportunity to have a day that was warm with virtually no wind, camera in hand, here is what I found:


Tomatoes growing in the same container as my Black Bamboo.  When I planted the bamboo, I mixed in some compost in with the soil and several months later... voila!  Tomato plants... I'll be keeping them for sure.


My running bamboo is shooting like crazy,  This particular variety is Phylostachys dulcis 'Sweetshoot Bamboo.' This bamboo is known for its exceptional edible bamboo shoots.  At the nodes, normally there are tender branchlets.  In this case the lower branchlets were nibbled off... slugs, rats or do I have a Panda Bear hiding out in my backyard?  A mystery indeed...


Friday, I started some Phylostachys nigra 'Black Bamboo' plants to get them ready for next year. This continued on Saturday.  It is dirty work, but it's what I love.


Even the cat was taking in the beautiful day....


And since this weekend is a mixed bag, here is what we can expect Sunday, but no worries, more beautiful May days are ahead, no doubt.

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook
Twitter: @madmanbamboo

2 comments:

Alan said...

Usually it's bamboo that comes up in the other plants, not the other way around! (When the bamboo is not properly contained I mean.)

:-)

Mad Man Bamboo Nursery said...

Yeah, I'll take the tomatoes any day! : )