Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Trip to the Golden Gecko Nursery

Had a great weekend. Made a visit to Trey (the Blogging Nurseryman, owner of the Golden Gecko Nursery) in Garden Valley, CA. Bought some really nice half wine barrels and some vegetable starters - "Bright Light" Swiss Chard, potato starts, chives, spinach, sugar snap peas seeds, saucer squash and brussel sprout starts. My daughter helped my wife pick the vegetables while Trey and I chatted.

Trey showed me the creek behind his nursery (amazed how the latest storms made a big impact) and told me about the German photographer who made a trip to Trey's neck of the woods to photograph ladybug sanctuaries. Trey has some really cool photos on his blog of the ladybugs he saw. Really amazing.

Got home and my daughter and I drilled holes in the wine barrels, planted the brussel sprouts and chard in one barrel, cut the potato starts in two to get ready for planting this weekend and have the other two barrels ready for planting this weekend.


Once we get the other two barrels planted, I will be getting a horse trough ready (formerly filled with Black Bamboo) for planting tomatoes and basil. Also, the blueberries are doing well in the other wine barrel we bought from Trey a couple of months ago. They will be ready for picking, mid-summer.

Good times.... temperatures are heading into the 70's this weekend, looking forward to getting out in the garden.

Here's to a bountiful spring,

Sean

1 comment:

kate smudges said...

Sorry that I haven't visited for awhile ~ I've just spent some time catching up. It looks as if you are wayyyy ahead of us. How fun to have your daughter helping out. I like the half wine barrels.