Monday, July 9, 2012

'Weaver's Bamboo' adds style to a modern LA area building


Sometimes when you have a 'garden moment', an inspiration, that one mix of plant material with hardscape or against the right building, it just speaks to you. This picture does just that for me.

Lately, I have grown to really appreciate Bambusa textilis 'Weaver's Bamboo' for it lush green coloring, upright stature and its clean open look.  It looks like a classic running bamboo, but it is a non-invasive clumper.  Names so for its thin culm walls that can be used for basket-weaving and other weaving crafts.

Paul, a Bamboo Geek blog reader, asked me to ID this plant and in exchange he gave me permission to show off this photo taken of a hedge of 'Weaver's Bamboo' taken in the Los Angeles area, used against a modern whitewashed building.

If this doesn't show off LA style, I'm not sure what does.... beautiful.

Never fear... it looks just as beautiful in our warm, sunny Sacramento landscapes as well!

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo - Rocklin, CA
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Facebook | Twitter

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen the 'river rock' mulch used before (there is a big bamboo at Santana Row in San Jose with that look), and I agree it looks cool, but is it good for the plant? I've always read we should let the leaf litter act as mulch to let nutrients recycle.

Mad Man Bamboo Nursery said...

It's definitely good to let the leaf litter compost for soil health and protection as well as bring silica back into the soil. Rocks in mild temperatures can be OK, but in extreme heat it may bring on excessive heat for sure. Your observation is right on David.

Sean

Unknown said...

Great information! Do you know where I can purchase Weaver's Bamboo plants in the Los Angeles area? I'm having a hard time finding anything online

Thanks so much!