Friday, February 24, 2012

Warm days are nice.... but is this February? My plants are confused!

It was pure heaven today... sunny 70's in a unusually mild winter day that acted like early April.  Of course, I took advantage of the nice weather and strolled around, finding hints of life on my bamboo plants.  Not sure if I should be shouting in the streets - "Spring is finally here!" or be afraid, very afraid that a usual hard winter freeze will undo all the early beauty.  Thinking positive, I just had to go with the former.

I really don't like winter - its the time of year that gardeners get the least visual joy and you see some of your favorite plants, either die off completely or just look like hell.  So - I just went with it.  Here are some of the sights I saw in the yard today...


On my Hibamnobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima', a new branchlet and leaves are emerging, brought on by the warm weather.


This is a new branchlet emerging from a Bambusa oldhamii 'Giant Clumping Bamboo'.  The new culms have the culm sheath (tan) that protect the nodes and the branchlet is so plump, it it cracking the culm sheath.

Hopefully, this weather will carry on to the true Spring, but of course some precipitation would be good to go along with that.  So, enjoy the warm sunny days while they last!

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo - Rocklin, CA
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Facebook | Twitter

No comments: