Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A gem in a 'Mad Man's' bamboo collection... 'Striped Young.'

The thing that got me started was one bamboo plant I bought at a nursery about 12 years ago.... Bambusa multiplex 'Golden Goddess."  Once it started shooting, I was hooked, hooked in a big way.

So, over the years, I have amassed a collection of about 120 different types of running and clumping bamboo, stashed here and there, in my larger (not huge) Rocklin suburban lot.  Most of the clumpers are planted in the ground and the runners, without exception are safely growing in containers.

It's funny, when you have so many, it's easy to get caught up in the spectacular colors or that giant culm rocketing up 20 feet in the midst of the Summer heat.

Here is a discovery I made of a clumping bamboo that is tucked to the side of my lawn.  Bambusa multiplex 'Striped Young'.  Given to me by a friend (someone I look up to in the "bamboo world", a mentor and a friend) about four years ago, this rare clumping bamboo is showing off its colors in a big way this summer.  Must love the Sacramento climate....


Subtle beauty with its contrasting white and green striped culms.


Nothing else quite like this bamboo.  A gem in my bamboo collection.

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo - Rocklin, CA
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook
Twitter: @madmanbamboo

No comments: