Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bamboo Hot Spot: 15th and L Street in Sacramento, CA

This weekend, I took my kids to see 'Annie Get Your Gun' at the Music Circus at the Wells Fargo Pavilion.  The musical play was really good and we really look forward to getting a good play in every once in a while as well as a good dinner beforehand. It's a treat for the whole family.

For dinner, we tried a new place, Cafeteria 15L.  With fine comfort fare like chicken and waffles (which I tried for the first time, was initially skeptical, and now love it),  as well as braised short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes, how could you go wrong. The food at Cafeteria 15L was good, it was kid friendly, but refined, and it was just a nice place for great food, fairly priced.  And, no they didn't pay me to write this, its my honest assessment of a good meal.

So, good food, great service and well, one more thing... they had an awesome shared outside courtyard with another restaurant, Ma Jong's.

Here is what I saw in the courtyard, a Bamboo Geek's dream:


A very large pot of Phylostachys nigra 'Black Bamboo'.  Actually there were several pots and all looked superb.


Even in the most mundane areas were areas where bamboo were included.  In a slender planting area (foreground) or near a tree (background).

I find, in my travels from the Rocklin suburbs to both Downtown Sacramento and Midtown Sacramento, that both areas are pretty 'bamboo-friendly'.  Many of the businesses there seem to know how to use bamboo in a way that enhances a space, sets a certain mood and shows off the inherent beauty of bamboo.  Cheers to Cafeteria 15L  for a great meal and providing a really nice ambiance which includes my favorite plant, bamboo.

Cheers!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo
(916) 300-6335
www.madmanbamboo.com
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook
Twitter: @madmanbamboo

P.S.  While at Cafeteria 15L, check out the restroom, it's quite different!

2 comments:

Dave Gardner said...

Wow. Thanks for pointing out some places where I can go to get some ideas for using bamboo in my own landscaping as well as a place where I can get pictures of these varieties. I like the linear look that bamboo provides to a landscape. It also lends an exotic tropical look to the landscape design. Now that I've found your blog, I'll be sure to drop by and see what other goodies you post.

myself said...

Old time, people use bamboo to build houses! Now we use bamboo to build camping site. Other we make as spoon, flag holder, knife and decoration.