If you couldn't tell by this blog site - I love bamboo. So much, that it is kind of a nerdy obsession of mine. I'm a Bamboo Geek, and I wear that label with pride. Through the years I have met many like me. It's comforting to know your not alone in this obsession over a giant grass. So, how can you tell if you are a 'Bamboo Geek?' Here are the top ten ways to diagnose it:
10. The majority of your plants have Bambusa (large family of clumping bamboos that grow well in the Sacramento area) in the plant tag name.
9. You know what the heck a Bambusa is.
8. When your bamboo plant begins to shoot, you refer to the shoots as - 'my little babies.' As in, "I can't wait for my little babies grow up!"
7. You go to the zoo and take more pictures of the bamboo than you do of the animals (or maybe even your own children). The Sacramento Zoo has some of the nicest bamboo specimens around - but completely unlabeled.
6. You can actually pronounce Phylostachys right, one of the largest family of running bamboos (the very popular Black Bamboo is a Phylostachys).
5. You are a member of the American Bamboo Society (you know who you are). Great organization by the way.
4. You have more than three things in your house made out of bamboo.
3. At a nursery, forget the Japanese Maples, forget the vegetables, you make a bee-line to the bamboo.
2. You ask for a bamboo plant for your birthday.
1. Your one of the few people that doesn't like Panda Bears (just kidding, I actually love them, but they are not invited to hang out at my house anytime soon).
Well? You a Bamboo Geek? If so, welcome, your in good company!
Mad Man Bamboo
Mad Man Bamboo on Facebook