Friday, December 10, 2010

A real beauty... Semiarundaria yashadake 'Kimmei'



What a nice surprise coming home from work today (lately its been too dark to enjoy the garden when I get home). Last weekend, I split up an overgrown Semiarundaria yashadake 'Kimmei' that was on the side of the house and was in full shade.

Semiarundaria yashadake 'Kimmei' is a running bamboo that can take full sun and grows up to 25 feet tall. I originally acquired this plant for its ability to take bright shades of red when exposed to sunlight.

Since the plant was in a shady corner, it was its usual yellow with green striped culm color when I split the mother plant last weekend.

When I came home today, I looked out the window and did a double-take. Very nice, bright red coloring on the culms. Very exciting to see! Above is what it looks like right now.

Enjoy!

Sean
Mad Man Bamboo
(916) 300-6335

No comments: